SAFC And The Year That Was 2019
Anyone taking the time to read this will know exactly how 2019 panned out, they will also know what went wrong, so what’s the point of this article? As always the answer is very little point, but since March 16th of this year I’ve been writing most days about all things SAFC, so it seemed only right to have a quick look back at the year that was 2019.
SAFCBlog has always tried to give an alternative & independent view, so rather than review the year, I thought I’d just look at the key moments…..
Failure to win promotion and our current league position dictate that 2019 was ultimately a failure? Inaugural year of SAFCBlog, but thinking back 2019 was better than the previous 2 years, (although this is obviously relative).
- A 1-0 win at Blackpool suggested we had the bottle to win ugly
- Maja leaving and Grigg arriving, (obviously with the value of considerable hindsight), was pivotal in our season
- With Maja gone, we drew the next 3 games 1-1
Josh Maja – a deadly finisher
- We just needed to kick on, but too many draws were starting to take their toll. We had 4 home games against poor teams, (Wimbledon, Blackpool, Accrington and Gillingham), just winning 2 of these stalled us.
Accrington were desperately poor, this draw hurt us
- 8 points from 12, including a great draw on the coldest night ever recorded away at Barnsley, we might even catch Luton at this rate?
- The last minute winner at Rochdale felt like we were going to do it?
- The home game against Coventry was a disaster and hinted that we were going to gas it?
Looking good……..SAFC 2019
Complete shambles…….Even the name of winning goal scorer for a Coventry felt like a piss take?
- Job well done against Portsmouth
- I was absolutely convinced we would beat Charlton at Wembley, even when gifted the lead after 2 minutes – we didn’t look like winning and didn’t deserve to win. What really disappointed is that after a long, long season it was so important that….. we had no regrets, we left nothing on the pitch, we didn’t let it pass us by, we did ourselves proud – sadly we didn’t do this, fair play to Charlton – Bowyer did a fantastic job and they deserved the win – but fucking hell it was painful, really painful
“Well, that’s the job fucked then?”
- Probably needed to add pace to the team and we didn’t
- SD dodged the transfer window by diverting attention to the sale of the club, at least our leader won’t be doing that again come January???
- 1-1 against a strong Oxford team isn’t the end of the world – sadly the manner of the day, the feel of the game, the feeling of same old same old …… just felt like we’d never been away?
“It’s like we’ve never been away?”
- It’s easy to forget how well we started the season? August saw a return of DDWWWW
- Things came to a natural end for the best dressed manager in football
- Sadly the plot begins to unravel regarding loans, no money, lies etc
We can’t score goals and we don’t even have one of these at our disposal
- Strange month with only 4 games, (due to cup exit and Bury demise)
- Hopefully Sunday is the lift off we need?
So as 2019 draws to a close what happens next year? We’ve got 7 games in January – huge month ahead. Truth is it’s impossible to say, but………..
………we won’t spend any money, we won’t change manager, there’s loads wrong at the club. BUT……on Sunday we saw every player giving everything for the team backed by a tremendous support.
That’s good enough for me… let’s win tomorrow and then who knows where we can go?
A new year will likely see a new owner – but nowt really changes come 3 pm on a Saturday. Happy New Year to everyone, enjoy 2020, football is great – but it is just a game – keep smiling and always try to do the right thing.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPizIaBPhSg
Fleetwood review online tomorrow night.
4-0….. 48 hours on 4-0 could have been 8-0? Not…Read More
Kyle Lafferty – Welcome to Sunderland The first January signing…Read More
Fatness 0 Fitness 1 Yesterday was absolutely brilliant, I’d go…Read More
Sunderland 4 Wycombe 0 I’ve written loads lately about the…Read More
4 – 0…. 48 hours on …Read More SAFCBlog 38 mins ago
@LadSunder @YfrontFanzine @juoie @christoph_21 @OuthwaiteG85 @mobilemackem @steveovo3 @JHunterChron @RokerReport @CWaters_SAFC @eve3206 @Gav1879 @kevinhope @DeanCruddace @Yorktone @PaulMcM19631963 @Beccagib09 …Read More SAFCBlog 42 mins ago
4 – 0…. 48 hours on …Read More